This roasted sweet potato avocado kale salad is loaded up with the perfect mix of hearty ingredients and tossed with an irresistible chipotle tahini dressing.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potato, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon each: ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each: fine sea salt, freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 ounces fresh kale, chopped with tough stems discarded
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely-packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup roasted pepitas
- (optional) crumbled cotija or feta cheese
Chipotle Tahini Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce (plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce)
- Prep the oven and baking sheet. Heat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the sweet potatoes. Add the sweet potatoes to a large mixing bow. Drizzle evenly with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle evenly with the spices. Toss until combined. Spread the sweet potatoes out on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender, then transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack.
- Mix the dressing. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a blender (or see non-blender option below) and purée until smooth. If you prefer a thinner dressing, you are welcome to add in more water. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Massage the kale. Add the kale to a large mixing bowl and drizzle evenly with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Massage the oil into the kale for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Toss and serve. Add the remaining salad ingredients and the cooked sweet potatoes and toss until evenly combined. Serve immediately, drizzled with the chipotle tahini dressing, and enjoy!