- 7 ounces thin rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 5 to 6 cups chicken stock
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- toppings: fresh cilantro, fresh Thai basil, sliced Thai bird chiles, thinly-sliced red or green onions, crushed peanuts and/or lime wedges
- Prepare the noodles. Cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Sauté the veggies. Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and bell pepper. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mostly softened. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer. Add chicken stock, chicken, mushrooms, Thai curry paste (I recommend beginning with 2 tablespoons) and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Shred the chicken. Use tongs to transfer the chicken breasts or thighs to a clean plate, then use two forks to shred into bite-sized pieces. Return the chicken to the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and season. Add the noodles, coconut milk, baby spinach, lime juice. Stir to combine until the spinach has wilted. Taste and season the soup with salt, pepper and/or extra Thai curry paste as desired.
- Serve. Serve the soup warm, garnished with lots and lots of your favorite toppings.