This Tuscan White Bean, Sausage and Kale Soup is quick and easy to make, and full of the most comforting Italian flavors. It’s also naturally gluten-free and freezes beautifully.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound smoked sausage*
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans (canneloni or Great Northern)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary + 2 sprigs fresh thyme (**or see dried seasoning options below)
- 1 bunch lacinato or curly kale, roughly chopped with tough stems removed
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally, until browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a clean plate, and set aside. Discard any remaining grease.
- Add the remaining oil to the stockpot. Add onion and carrot and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and sauté for 1-2 more minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken stock, white beans, herbs, and cooked sausage and stir until combined. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.
- Stir in the kale, cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the kale has softened a bit.
- Taste, and season with a few generous pinches of salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with lots of Parmesan cheese. Or transfer to a sealed container(s) and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.