This easy 5-ingredient easy broccoli cheese soup recipe is so tasty!!
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 1 small white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 (15 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (**see note below**)
- plus a few generous pinches of salt and black pepper
- (optional: a few generous pinches of Italian seasoning or Cajun seasoning)
- Stir together stock, diced onion and broccoli in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Stir in the evaporated milk and continue cooking for 3 minutes or until the mixture returns to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
- **As I said above, some brands of shredded cheese melt more easily than others. To play it safe, I recommend buying a block of cheddar and shredding it yourself just before adding in the cheese. But I used Kraft brand for this recipe, and it melted perfectly!**