These Almond Joy Energy Bites taste like the candy bar we all love, but are made with healthier ingredients and sweetened with dates.
- 12 oz. (about 2 cups, loosely-packed) Medjool dates (**see note below about types of dates and substitutions**)
- 2 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- Add dates and remaining ingredients to a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine, then use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl. Blend the mixture for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture has moved past the crumbly stage and begins to clump and stick to the sides of the food processor.
- Use a spoon or small cookie scoop to measure out a tablespoon of dough (or your desired size) and roll it into a ball. If desired, roll the ball in a bowl of coconut flakes. Or just set it aside to eat as-is. Repeat with the remaining dough. (Alternately, you can flatten the dough into the bottom of an 8×8-inch parchment-lined baking dish, then cut it into bars.)
- Store the energy bites in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- **I used Medjool dates in this recipe, which are already nice and soft. If you substitute another kind of date, you may need to soak them in warm water for 10 minutes first in order to soften then. (Then drain them before using.)