Delicious, creamy avocado is the rockstar of this delicious pesto, tossed with the pasta of your choice.
- 8 oz. pasta or noodles (I used tagliatelle)
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, reserve some leaves for garnish
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3–4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt (or more or less to taste)
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- (optional garnish) extra toasted pine nuts and shaved Parmesan
- Bring a large pot of generously-salted water to a boil. Add pasta or noodles, and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto by combining basil, avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and oil in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Immediately after the pasta or noodles are drained, top with the pesto and gently toss until well-coated. Divide pasta among serving bowls and top with toasted pine nuts and shaved Parmesan.
You can also make this by substituting in fresh cilantro for the basil, and lime juice for the lemon juice. I tried it and definitely liked the basil better, but many on the blogosphere seem to love the cilantro twist!
This is great served with grilled shrimp or chicken on top as well.