This banana pancake recipe is total comfort food — simple to make, and full of wonderful spiced banana flavor!
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour OR all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (*see note for substitution below if you don’t have buttermilk*)
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 small bananas)
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- maple syrup
- toasted walnuts or pecans
- extra banana slices
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter (or coconut oil) egg and mashed bananas until combined.
- When you are ready to make the pancakes, pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture, and stir together until just combined. Be sure not to overmix the batter — it will still be a little lumpy with those bananas!
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat, and mist with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4-cup of batter on the heated surface to form a pancake, and let it sit there (untouched) for about 1-2 minutes, or until little bubbles start popping up in the middle and the edges begin to harden. Use a spatula to flip the pancake, then cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the pancake is cooked through and golden on the outside. Remove and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve warm with your desired toppings.
**If you do not have buttermilk, you can make homemade buttermilk by placing 1 tablespoon or lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup. Then fill the rest of the measuring cup with milk. Stir the mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then it’s ready to go!
Recipe loosely adapted from Allrecipes.com