This carrot cake roll is everything you love about a delicious carrot cake, all rolled up into one delicious dessert!
Carrot Cake Roll Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (or granulated white sugar)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 2–3 medium carrots)
- 1 batch cream cheese filling (see below)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for rolling
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To Make The Carrot Cake Roll:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment sticking up on both 15-inch sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out after baking. (If you’d like the parchment to stick to the bottom of the pan more easily, sprinkle a little bit of water on the pan and then press the parchment paper on top of it. You can also lightly mist the top of the parchment paper with cooking spray for easier cake release afterwards, although it’s not required.)
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and cloves (if using) in medium bowl until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar for 1 minute until thick. Add in the oil, vanilla and shredded carrots, and whisk until just combined. Fold in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula, and stir together until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when touched. Carefully lift the parchment paper and cake out onto a flat (and heat-safe) surface. Then slowly, roll the cake — rolling from the short end to the short end — until it is completely rolled up. Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool until it reaches room temperature.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling (see below).
- When the cake has reached room temperature, transfer the cake roll to a flat surface, and carefully it until it is flat again (or mostly flat, it’s ok if the ends curl up a bit). Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over cake, leaving a 3/4-inch border on all sides. Then carefully re-roll the cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll until you can completely remove and discard it. Tightly wrap the carrot cake roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Remove and unwrap the carrot cake roll and transfer it to your serving dish. Lightly dust the carrot cake roll on all sides with powdered sugar, if you would like. Then slice* and serve.
- If you have leftovers, just re-wrap the carrot cake roll in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To Make The Cream Cheese Filling:
- Whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a half teaspoon or two of water. (You want a medium consistency so that the filling is easy to spread, but not too warm or thin that it will ooze out of the cake when you’re rolling it up.)
*If you want the cake to be pretty on the very ends, I recommend slicing off about 1/2-inch of the cake on both ends before serving. Then you’ll definitely see those pretty cream cheese swirls!
**The listed recipe time does not include the hours needed for cooling and then chilling the cake in the refrigerator.