This Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe is simple to make, lightened up with a few easy tweaks, and deliciously rich and creamy.
- 4 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 ounces button or baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- Heat butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until melted (or heat the olive oil until it is shimmering). Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and mushrooms, and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the flour until it is completely combined, and saute for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Gradually add in the chicken stock and milk, stirring frequently. Stir in the chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer (be careful not to bring it to a boil!), stirring occasionally so that the bottom of the soup does not stick to the pan. Then reduce heat to medium-low, and continue simmering the soup for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- Taste the soup and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately, with crackers on top or on the side, if desired.