This amazing Chocolate Avocado Hot Fudge Cake is quick and easy to prepare, and bakes in the oven so that you have a delicious chocolate cake on top with a rich hot fudge sauce on the bottom. Win-win!
- 1 cup cane sugar (or granulated sugar), divided
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup mashed or pureed avocado
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, homemade or store-bought
- 1 1/4 cups very hot coffee* or water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch or 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cane sugar, brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa until evenly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together 1/2 cup cane sugar, flour, 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until evenly combined. Add in milk, avocado and vanilla, and stir until smooth. Spread the batter the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the initial sugar-cocoa mixture evenly over batter. Pour hot coffee (or water) evenly over the top of the sugar-cocoa layer. Do not stir.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on a wire backing rack for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately while the cake is warm, spooning the hot fudge mixture on the bottom of the pan over the cake.