This easy Zuppa Toscana recipe, inspired by the Olive Garden version, uses store-bought gnocchi as a shortcut to bring this creamy sausage and kale soup together in just 30 minutes.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I recommend spicy)
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (1-pound) package gnocchi
- 2 to 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- optional toppings: freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, crumbled crispy bacon, chopped fresh basil
- Cook the sausage, onions and garlic. Add the sausage and onions to a large stockpot. Cook for 8-10 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break up the sausage as it cooks, until the sausage is browned and the onion has softened. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer. Add chicken stock and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Add the gnocchi, kale, heavy cream, and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes or until the gnocchi float to the surface of the soup.
- Season. Taste and season the soup with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve. Serve warm, sprinkled with any of your desired toppings, and enjoy!
Recipe edit: This recipe was edited slightly in 2022 to add onions. The original recipe also included 1 small jar of roasted red peppers (drained and diced), which you are welcome to add in with the chicken stock if you would like!