This queso blanco (white cheese dip) recipe is easy to make in about 20 minutes, perfectly melty, and irresistibly delicious!
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes and chiles, drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 pound (16 ounces) white American cheese, diced into small cubes
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, diced into small cubes
- 2 cups (loosely-packed) chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Sauté veggies. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Combine. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add in the diced tomatoes and chiles, evaporated milk and stir to combine. Gradually add in the cheese, stirring constantly until it has completely melted. Stir in the spinach and cilantro until combined.
- Season. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. If the dip is too thick, add in extra evaporated milk to thin.
- Serve. Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe edit: This recipe was edited slightly in 2022 to include more veggies and a different ratio of cheese.