Learn how to make the irresistible white cheese and spinach dip that you LOVE at Mexican restaurants…at home! You’ll love this espinaca con queso recipe!
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion (about half a small onion)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (and seeded if desired)
- 3/4 cup milk or half and half
- 1 pound (16 oz.) white melting cheese, shredded (I prefer asadero cheese, although you can use white
- American cheese if you can’t find asadero)
- 4 oz. Pepper Jack or Monterrey Jack cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 (15 oz.) can RO*TEL diced tomatoes and chiles
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno, and saute for 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Lower heat to medium-low, then gradually add milk and cheeses. Stir together slowly for a few minutes until melted. Add the RO*TEL, spinach and cilantro, and stir until combined. Remove from stove.
- Pour into a bowl and serve immediately with chips. Or transfer dip to a crock-pot to keep warm.
I like adding an extra chipotle or poblano pepper to this dip for extra flavor and spice. You would just pop this in at the same time as the jalapeno. But I recommend trying the dip as is first to see if you would like the extra kick! :)