This Green Enchilada Sauce recipe is quick and easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and perfect for drizzling or mixing into countless favorite Mexican dishes. See ideas above for how to customize your sauce to taste.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, cored (seeds removed) and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 4 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a blender or food processor. Add vegetable stock, green chiles, cumin, salt and pepper. Then puree until completely smooth.
- Taste and season with additional salt, pepper and/or cumin if needed.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.