These guiltless chocolate chip pancakes are so sweet and comforting, yet all the more enjoyable knowing they are made with lighter ingredients.
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or soy or low-fat dairy milk)
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- cooking spray or oil mister
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- honey or pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, almond milk, egg whites, oil and vanilla. Stir the flour mixture into the applesauce mixture until just moist, being careful not to overmix.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle over medium-low heat. When hot, lightly spray the pan with oil. Scoop out 1/4 cup of pancake batter for each pancake, then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips on top. Cook until the pancakes start to bubble and the edges begin to set, 1 1/2 minutes. Flip the pancakes over and cook the second side until golden, 1 1/2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve, put 2 pancakes on each of 5 serving plates and then top with honey or maple syrup (if using).