This Instant Pot Carnitas recipe is quick and easy to make in the pressure cooker, perfectly crispy and juicy, and so delicious!
Instant Pot Crispy Carnitas Ingredients:
- 1 (4-5 pound) lean boneless pork roast, cut into 2-inch chunks (with excess fat trimmed off)
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 batch mojo sauce (see below)
- for serving: chopped fresh cilantro, diced white or red onion, and/or fresh salsa (I used the pineapple salsa recipe included below)
Mojo Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup beer (or chicken stock)
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
To Make The Instant Pot Crispy Carnitas:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mojo sauce ingredients until combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Season pork chunks on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Click the “Sauté” setting on the Instant Pot. Add the oil, followed by half of the pork, and sear — turning every 45-60 seconds or so — until the pork is browned on all sides. Transfer pork to a separate clean plate, and repeat with the remaining pork, searing until it has browned on all sides. Press “Cancel” to turn off the heat.
- Pour in the mojo sauce, and toss briefly to combine with the pork. Close lid securely and set vent to “Sealing”.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, followed by a natural release (about 15 minutes).
- Set the oven broiler to high heat.
- Remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Shred the pork with two forks. Then transfer it with a slotted spoon to a large baking sheet. Spoon about a third of the leftover juices evenly on top of the pork and toss to combine. Broil for 4-5 minutes, or until the edges of the pork begin browning and crisping up. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, then half of the remaining juices from the Instant Pot evenly over the pork and toss to combine. Broil for an additional 5 minutes to get the meat even more crispy. Remove baking sheet from the oven, then ladle the remaining juices over the pork, and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro, then serve warm in tacos, burritos, salads, or whatever sounds good to you! Or, refrigerate pork in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Pineapple Salsa: To make the fresh pineapple salsa recipe, just mix together the follow ingredients until combined:
- 2 cups finely-diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely-diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely-diced
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste