These Lighter Jalapeno Poppers still pack all of the great flavor and crunch of traditional jalapeno poppers…but have a fraction of the fat!
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese (I used low-fat)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar or Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (or thyme, for an Italian twist!)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- dash of salt and pepper
- 10 jalapeños, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, shredded cheese, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper (to taste).
- In a separate bowl, toss together Panko and half of the bacon bits.
- Spoon the filling into each jalapeño cavity. Then top each jalapeno with a spoonful of the Panko and bacon bit mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet, cavity side up. Mist each of the jalapenos with olive oil (you can use a Misto) or cooking spray. Bake until the filling is melty and the Panko is golden, about 15-20 minutes. (If the Panko starts getting too brown too early, place a sheet of aluminum foil lightly on top of the jalapeno poppers.)
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle with additional bacon bits. Serve immediately.