Learn how to make an old fashioned cocktail with this classic recipe.
- 2 ounces bourbon (or rye) (*see notes below on gluten-free brands*)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons simple syrup (**see instructions below)
- 2–3 dashes Angostura bitters, to taste
- 1 orange slice
- 1 maraschino cherry, with stem
- Combine the bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters in a glass, and stir to combine. Add ice, then add the orange slice and maraschino cherry. Let the drink sit for a few minutes, or give it a little shake to let the flavors of the orange and cherry seep into the bourbon. Drink and enjoy.
- (*If you are looking for a gluten-free bourbon, try Bulleit or Maker’s Mark.)
- (**To make simple syrup, simply bring equal parts water and sugar to a boil, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.)