This classic old fashioned recipe is easy to make with bourbon, bitters and your choice of sweetener.
- 1 sugar cube (1 teaspoon granulated white sugar*)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3 to 4 shakes Angostura bitters
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 Luxardo cherry (optional)
- orange peel
- Muddle the sugar. Add the sugar cube to a lowball glass. Top with the water and bitters, then use a muddler (or the end of a wooden spoon) to combine until the sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Mix. Add the bourbon and a large ice cube. Stir vigorously for 10 seconds or until the liquid is chilled.
- Garnish. Add a cocktail cherry or two, if desired. Gently twist the orange peel directly over the glass, in order to express its oil into the cocktail, then add the orange peel as a garnish.
- Serve. Serve immediately and enjoy. Cheers!
Cocktail Muddler and Spoon SetBuy Now →
Sweetener options: Feel free to use a different type of granulated sugar if you prefer, such as coconut sugar. Or you can sub in a liquid sweetener, such as maple syrup or simple syrup, in which case you can just directly mix the sweetener and bitters in with the bourbon.
Orange peel: I also love to run the orange peel around the rim of the glass before mixing the drink to add an extra hint of orange flavor.