These Roasted Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos are topped with a zesty tahini-cumin-lime crema, they’re naturally gluten-free and vegan, and muy delicioso.
- 1 batch Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower (see below)
- 1 batch Black Beans (see below)
- 1 batch Cumin Lime Crema (see below)
- corn tortillas*
- toppings: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, fresh lime wedges, pepitas, and/or thinly-sliced radishes
Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower Ingredients:
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each: ground cumin, kosher salt, paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each: crushed red pepper flakes, freshly-cracked black pepper, ground turmeric
Refried Black Beans Ingredients:
- 1 small white onion
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each: chili powder, Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Cumin Lime Crema Ingredients:
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Mexican hot sauce (such as Cholula)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
To Make The Tacos:
- Prepare the cauliflower, refried black beans and crema as directed below.
- To serve, place a layer of refried black beans in a tortilla, top with roasted cauliflower, a drizzle of the crema, and your desired toppings.
To Make The Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower:
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower, garlic, olive oil, cumin, salt, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper and ground turmeric until evenly combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat, then place the cauliflower in a single layer on the sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes until it is tender and browned, stirring once halfway through.
- Serve immediately.
To Make The Refried Black Beans:
- Peel and halve the onion, then slice into half-moon shapes. Drain the beans, reserving 1/2 cup of the can liquid.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the beans, reserved can liquid, kosher salt, chili powder and black pepper. Turn the heat to medium low and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often and smashing the beans toward the end of the cook time, until most of the liquid has cooked out and the texture is mashed and thick. Scrape the bottom and sides of the pan as necessary. Taste and season with additional salt as desired.
To Make The Cumin Lime Crema:
- In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, lime juice, tahini, olive oil, hot sauce, cumin and salt until evenly combined. Add 1-2 tablespoons water if necessary to achieve a creamy consistency.
*If you’d like to char the tortillas, turn on a gas burner to medium heat and place the tortilla directly on the grate. After about 15 seconds, once the edges are lightly charred, use tongs to flip the tortilla. Then heat on the opposite side until lightly charred. Repeat for all tortillas, keeping a close eye on them while cooking so that they do not catch fire.