This easy shrimp tacos recipe is made with zesty shrimp, cilantro lime coleslaw, sliced avocado and a spicy chipotle crema. See notes above for possible recipe variations and shortcuts too.
Shrimp Taco Ingredients:
- 1 batch cilantro lime slaw
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 to 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 8–10 flour tortillas (or corn tortillas)
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and thinly-sliced
- optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped red or white onion, sliced jalapeño or serrano peppers, crumbled cotija cheese, and/or lime wedges
Chipotle Crema Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or mayo)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce (or 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Prep the slaw and crema: Prepare the cilantro lime slaw according to instructions. Combine all of the chipotle crema ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth.*
- Cook the shrimp. In a mixing bowl, toss the shrimp with the taco seasoning, plus a generous pinch of salt and black pepper, until evenly coated. Heat oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes, flipping once, until they are opaque and cooked through. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- Assemble the tacos: Fill each flour tortillas with a generous serving of the slaw, a few slices of avocado, a few shrimp, a drizzle of chipotle crema and sprinkle of your favorite toppings.
- Serve. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to make chipotle crema by hand: If you would like to skip the blender, just finely chop the chipotle in adobo sauce and stir it together with the other ingredients in a mixing bowl until evenly combined. Or if you are using chipotle powder, you can definitely just stir the ingredients together by hand.