All you need is a vegetable peeler to make this Summer Vegetable “Ribbon” Salad recipe, which is just as delicious as it is beautiful.
- 1 zucchini, ends cut off
- 1 yellow squash, ends cut off
- 1 small bunch asparagus, tough ends removed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and ends cut off
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan, for garnishUsing a vegetable peeler or mandoline, shave the zucchini, squash, and carrots into long thin strips (“ribbons”).
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandoline, shave the zucchini, squash, and carrots into long thin strips (“ribbons”). Thinly slice the asparagus on a diagonal.
- Fill a small saucepan with water, and bring a boil over high heat. Carefully add in the sliced asparagus, and boil for 1-2 minutes, until the asparagus turns bright green. Using a slotted spoon, remove the asparagus and immediately place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Let sit for a minute, then drain the water, and toss the asparagus with the zucchini, squash and carrots in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and drizzle over the vegetables. Toss to coat. Garnish with the pecorino or parmesan shavings. Serve.
Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis