Tex-Mex styled migas are the ultimate breakfast comfort food…with a kick!
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each: ground cumin, fine sea salt, freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large handfuls corn tortilla chips, roughly crumbled
- 2/3 cup salsa, homemade or store-bought
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese, plus extra for serving
- toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, diced red onion, sliced avocado, diced tomato, extra salsa
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 additional minutes, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the egg mixture, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the eggs are completely scrambled. Stir in the tortilla chips, salsa and cheese. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings. (I say the more, the merrier!)
*Recipe updated in July 2018.