5 Ways To Be A Nice Person In Barcelona
5 Things We’ve Learned About Being A Nice Person In Barcelona
Chances are, if you’re reading this, you’re already a nice person. But in any new place you go, it always pays off to keep the culture in mind. It shows your respect for the place you’re visiting, as well as the people that live there. Here are five easy things to keep in mind.
- Say ‘Hola’ to the staff when you walk into a store. Even if you don’t speak Spanish. ;) We love how this is customary in Barcelona, and always notice how the shop and restaurant owners appreciate it. It’s a simple sign of respect often missed amongst the throngs of tourists here.
- Service is included, but consider tipping if you’ve had a great meal. Even if you’re paying with a card, leaving a euro or two is a good way to recognize the people who served you. 5% won’t break the bank, but is greatly appreciated as it is not expected here.
- Carry cash, especially coins. Barcelona draws people from around the world. As part of the energy of the city, there are plentiful street performers. If you see something that moves you, it makes a big difference (and a living) for those who offer it to drop a coin or two into the hat. And as mentioned above, coins are also good for leaving a bit of extra money behind after a good meal ;) See, being a nice person can be pretty easy, right?
- Carry a scarf. In the summer months, it’s common to dress for the heat. When you step into one of the city’s gorgeous churches, it’s a sign of respect to keep shoulders covered when entering these sacred spaces. Also, while in churches, hats come off as well.
- It’s a different rhythm here, enjoy it! In our experience, the pace of life in the U.S. moves more quickly than here in Barcelona. Some things move more slowly than you’re used to…and that’s ok. You can still be a nice person. Keep in mind that you’ve come here to experience new cultures, rhythms, flavors, etc. Plus, a bit of down time will give you a chance to drop into another tapas bar on our list. ;)
For More Barcelona Travel Recommendations…
Check out our Gimme Some Barcelona Travel Guide, which includes a constantly-updated list of our best recommendations on where to stay, what to do, and where to eat in Barcelona. Plus, we’ve also shared a bunch of our best Barcelona-specific travel tips, so that you can navigate the city like a local.
Also, feel free to download our Gimme Some Barcelona Google Map, which includes all of the recommendations listed in our travel guide.