Mozzarella cheese sticks go “Mexican” in this easy, delicious and lighter recipe!
- Begin by unwrapping each piece of string cheese, and then cutting them all in half. Place evenly on a plate and freeze until frozen, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spray lightly with olive oil.
- Set up your prep line for the cheese sticks. Fill the first bowl with the flour. Fill the second bowl with the beaten egg. Then fill the third bowl with the panko, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt and oregano, and whisk those five ingredients together until evenly mixed.
- Remove the frozen pieces of string cheese, and one by one dunk each first in the flour mixture until evenly coated, then the egg, then carefully roll in the panko mixture. Be sure that all sides of the cheese are coated in breadcrumbs, then gently place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and just begins to seep out. Remove and serve immediately with your favorite salsa.