You’ll love this Spicy Black Bean Soup recipe. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner, and is flavorful and comforting.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- half a jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (Rotel)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- optional garnish: sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped bell peppers, shredded cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, diced avocados
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper, carrot, garlic and jalapeno, and continue cooking another 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add remaining eight ingredients (chicken broth through cayenne), and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let soup simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- You can either serve this soup as is, or use an immersion blender or a traditional blender (blending in small batches) to puree the soup. Serve warm, and garnish with suggested ingredients if desired.
You could also make this in a slow-cooker!