A delicious mac and cheese recipe gets kicked up a major notch with bacon and truffle oil! Also enter for a chance to win a Dreamfields Pasta giveaway!
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked al dente according to package directions
- 8 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- 8 oz. freshly-grated sharp or smoked white cheddar cheese (do not buy pre-shredded cheese)
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 3 Tbsp. truffle oil
- While the pasta water is heating in a large stockpot, cook the bacon in a large skillet over high heat until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving the bacon grease. Crumble the bacon once it has cooled.
- Return 1 tablespoon bacon grease to the skillet, and lower heat to medium-high. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, egg, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne until combined. Once the pasta is ready and has been drained, immediately stir in the evaporated milk mixture until combined. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5-8 minutes, or until the sauce comes to a simmer.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the grated cheddar and Parmesan until melted. Then gently stir in the truffle oil and half of the crumbled bacon.
- Serve immediately, topped with the remaining crumbled bacon and additional Parmesan.