What It Is:
Man-made but lovely beaches just minutes’ walk from the center of Barcelona’s Old City. To get a completely different side of the city, head to the beach for Mediterranean breezes. You’ll find a variety of seafood-centric restaurants and chiringuitos – seaside bars to help you downshift into vacation mode.
Where It’s Located:
Straight to the coast from Barcelona’s Old City. | Google Map
Why We Love It:
Sometimes we still can’t believe we can sit in a bar in Ciutat Vella (Old City) in the shadows of buildings from the 14th century, then walk 20 minutes and have our feet in the sand of this well-maintained, relaxing perch on the Mediterranean. But it’s true, and we get there as often as possible.
- If your time in Barcelona brings you around the Old City often, it’s an easy trip to the coast.
- Have a look at our map of recs below to pair your trip down there with some of our favorite food spots in Barceloneta.
- Keep your eyes peeled for the elaborate sand sculptures that line the boardwalk. There are some artisans in our midst.
- Chiringuitos are fun places to get a drink at the end of a day of sightseeing, or just to feel the energy of the ocean as the backdrop to some lively conversation.
- Locals will tell you that there are prettier beaches just outside the city. But if you’re short on time, it’s a great option to get a dose of sand and sun.
- There are cable cars that can take you directly from Barceloneta to Montjuïc for a fee, offering some nice views in the process.
For More Barcelona Travel Recommendations…
Check out our Gimme Some Barcelona Travel Guide, which includes a constantly-updated list of our best recommendations on where to stay, what to do, and where to eat in Barcelona. Plus, we’ve also shared a bunch of our best Barcelona-specific travel tips, so that you can navigate the city like a local.
Also, feel free to download our Gimme Some Barcelona Google Map, which includes all of the recommendations listed in our travel guide.