This delicious butternut squash and crab bisque recipe is filled with rich, delicious flavor!
- 4 large cloves garlic, roasted
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh carrots, diced
- 1 cup fresh celery, diced
- 1 quart chicken broth, divided use
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup half and half (or milk)
- 12 ounces crab claw meat
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare roasted garlic while you prepare the veggies. (For instructions on how to peel/seed/cut butternut squash, see here.)
- In a large (at least 5 quart) stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add butternut squash, onions, carrots, celery and garlic, and saute 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of broth, reserving the rest. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until squash is very tender (about 30 minutes).
- Add the half-and-half (or milk) and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until very smooth (or blend in batches in blender and return to pan). Thin with remaining broth if desired.
- Fold in the crab meat and sage. Season generously with salt and pepper and serve.