Creamy stovetop mac and cheese made with butternut squash, bacon and blue cheese – YUM!
- 2 (12-ounce) cans 2% evaporated milk
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (**see note below for instructions**)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1 lb. dry pasta (I used farfalle/bowtie pasta)
- 10 strips bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup finely-diced white or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese, plus extra (I used an additional 4 oz.) for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, butternut squash puree, eggs, salt, pepper and cayenne until combined.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, and then return the pasta back to the pot.
- Meanwhile (while the pasta is cooking), cook the bacon in a large skillet over high heat until cooked and crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, and reserve the bacon grease. Return 2 tablespoons of bacon to the skillet, and reduce heat to medium-high. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat, and then whisk the onion/garlic mixture into the evaporated milk mixture.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, pour the evaporated milk mixture into the pot with the pasta and stir until combined. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the cheeses until melted and evenly-distributed.
- Serve immediately, garnished with the crispy bacon and extra blue cheese crumbles.
**To make butternut squash puree, roughly chop up some butternut squash. Then cook it in the microwave (covered with plastic wrap to keep in the moisture) for about 5-6 minutes until soft. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. (Or you can mash it with a fork.)
Looks awesome- the hubs would love this one!
The more mac & cheese recipes in the world, the better in my opinion!
I need this Mac & Cheese! So gorgeous!
Nah, don’t back off. I loooooove mac so I say, bring it on!
Keep the mac & cheese recipes coming! I’m not a huge fan of blue cheese but Paul is, he will adore this!
I love butternut squash in macaroni & cheese!
Must. Have. This. NOW. It looks so good! I love the blue cheese addition. So different from other recipes I’ve seen but it looks fabulous!
this looks glorious!! i have a brand new butternut squash sitting in the fridge that’s just dying to be used up for something such as this :)
Holy yum!!! This looks fantastic!
Oh this looks amazing! Everything I love in one bowl :)
Love this! It’s such a nice twist on traditional mac and cheese!
omg that sounds so good.
Goodness! I want this for lunch. Huge fan of butternut, blue cheese and bacon over here.
Oh my…this has so many of my favorites all rolled into one dish. I cannot wait to try this one out!
This is my kind of mac and cheese! yum
This looks so yummy! How necessary is the egg? my boyfriend is egg-intolerant :/
You could leave it out. It just helps serve as a binder to make the cheese stick to the pasta. :)