This simple soup is full of great flavor with a kick!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned or frozen whole-kernel corn
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 2/3 cup salsa verde, homemade or store-bought (recommend Herdez brand)
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper
- garnish: diced avocado, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, crumbled queso fresco, additional lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapenos and saute for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and tender. Add garlic and saute for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, chipotles, adobo sauce, and stir to combine. Heat until nearly boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for at least 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken, rice, salsa verde and lime juice, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm garnished with lots of fresh avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips and queso fresco.
- (*See note below for options with more or less heat/spiciness.*)