What It Is:
The site of a former military compound, Ciutadella Park was one of historic Barcelona’s only green spaces for many years. Since then, it remains an attractive and popular place for people across the city to restore their spirits in the heart of Ciutat Vella.
Where It’s Located:
The northeast edge of Barcelona’s Ciutat Vella. | Google Map
Why We Love It:
This park is widely used by locals, and on the weekends, it’s teeming with life. Long walking paths lead along green spaces, fountains, and even the city zoo, which has one of Europe’s largest collections of animals. From picnics to people watching, Ciutadella Park is a gem of the city. And it’s a fantastic spot for kiddos to have space to play and run around!
- If you’re into people watching, be sure to swing by the park on a Saturday or Sunday. It feels like half of the city is there those days!
- We love the free ping pong tables on the east side of the park — so fun! (You have to provide the rackets/balls, though. But they’re available at most convenience stores in the city.)
- The park is free and is easily accessible via some of the major Metro stops in the area – you’ll be glad you took a moment for a deep breath.
- If you’re spending a lot of time in Ciutat Vella, chances are, you’ll find an opportunity to stroll through the park.
- Check out our downloadable travel guide map for other recommendations nearby!
For More Barcelona Travel Recommendations…
Check out our Gimme Some Barcelona Travel Guide, which includes a constantly-updated list of our best recommendations on where to stay, what to do, and where to eat in Barcelona. Plus, we’ve also shared a bunch of our best Barcelona-specific travel tips, so that you can navigate the city like a local.
Also, feel free to download our Gimme Some Barcelona Google Map, which includes all of the recommendations listed in our travel guide.