You will love this Classic Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe – the ultimate comfort food! So good!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 8 cups good chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely-chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 3 cups egg noodles (homemade or dried)
- salt ‘n’ freshly-ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat olive oil (or butter) over medium-heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic, and saute for 8-10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add in the chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30-45 minutes (or until veggies are completely soft). Add in chicken, then season to taste with salt and (lots of!) freshly-ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium-sized pot with water and add at least 1 Tbsp. salt, then bring to a boil. Add noodles (fresh or dried) and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, then add the noodles to the soup pot. Remove bay leaves, then serve.
- (Optional: If you like a less-brothy soup, feel free to cook the noodles in with the soup broth. I get annoyed when they soak up all of that delicious broth, but others may like a chunkier soup.)
Making this tonight! Thanks…perfect for a snowy day. Also made your steak soup earlier in the week and it was hit. :)
is this recipe ok to freeze? and if so, how long for?
thanks!! i love all your recipes :)
Yes, I think you could freeze this! Not sure for how long — probably no more than a month or two…
Fantastic. I’ve been on a big noodle craze lately, I have no idea why – I just got a crazy craving for noodles!! I’ve already tried nearly half of all the noodle recipes at this site and looking for more still! Crazy huh. I should probably stop soon, I dont think eating noodles every day is a little unhealthy perhaps…