You will love this Sausage & Zucchini Pasta recipe. It’s completely delicious and ready-to-go in 20 minutes or less!
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 zucchini, ends trimmed, sliced into 1/4″ thick rounds (or half-rounds)
- 1 yellow squash, ends trimmed, sliced into 1/4″ thick rounds (or half-rounds)
- half a large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carton (8 oz.) baby mushrooms, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 links spicy hot turkey sausage (or sweet, if you prefer)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- grated Parmesan cheese
optional additions: cherry or grape tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, quartered artichokes, roasted red peppers, toasted pine nuts
- Bring a large pot of generously-salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet or grill pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add sausage and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes (breaking it up as you go) until browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and place aside in a bowl, then return the skillet to the stove. Add an extra tablespoon of oil, then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Then add in zucchini, squash, mushrooms and garlic. Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are cooked. Add in white wine and stir the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Stir the sausage back in, cooking and stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water, and then drain pasta and add it to skillet along with the fresh basil and a final tablespoon of olive oil. Stir and cook for about a minute before serving, adding in the extra pasta water if needed for moisture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Feel free to substitute in your favorite type and flavoring of sausage. Or this would also be delicious with seasoned chicken or shrimp.
My eyeballs just got so happy looking at this!
Yum! Perfect summer dish. We’ve been eating a lot of zucchini around here too! A great way to use it up.
Yum! The perfect Summer meal. Mmm!
Yum! Looks like a great way to use up some of my CSA produce this week!
Yum, this looks delicious!! stumbled =)