These S’mores Bars (a.k.a. S’mores Brownies) feature all of the classic ingredients in a simple and delicious bar!
- 8–10 whole graham crackers (enough to cover the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan)
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
S’mores Topping Ingredients:
- Hershey’s bars (broken into small pieces)
- Golden Grahams
- mini marshmallows
- (optional) melted chocolate for drizzling (**see instructions below**)
To Make The Brownies:
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease with cooking spray. Then line the bottom of the pan with tightly-packed graham crackers in a single layer. Set aside.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Set the mixture aside until it cools to room temperature. (You can pop it in the fridge to speed up this process.)
- Stir in the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the baking pan on top of the graham crackers. (Since this is a thick batter, I found that it worked well to drop the dough in large tablespoons all over the graham crackers, and then smooth those out with a spoon to form an even layer of brownie batter.)
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan and sprinkle generously with mini marshmallows.
- Turn oven to broil, then return the pan to the oven and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the marshmallows poof up and JUST barely begin to turn golden. Please watch very carefully at this point, or else the marshmallows can burn or even catch fire.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with Hershey’s bar pieces and Golden Graham’s. Then drizzle with additional melted chocolate if desired. Let cool, then cut and serve.
**To make the melted chocolate, add a crumbled Hershey’s bar or some chocolate chips to a microwave-proof bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted. If the chocolate is too thick, add in a few teaspoons of shortening to thin it out. Drizzle with a fork over the s’mores bars.