You’ll love this easy Steak Soup (Vegetable Beef Soup) recipe! Quick and easy meal to make, and delicious!
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. sirloin steak, or beef stew meat (or whatever lean steaks are on sale!), cut into about 1″ cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 lb. potatoes (choose your favorite – Russett, Yukon, red, etc.), diced and peeled (optional)
- 8 cups low-sodium beef stock (or more if you like lots of broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt (yep!!)
- lots of freshly-ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half the steak and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 2 minutes. Remove the steak with a slotted spoon. Repeat with another tablespoon of oil and the remaining steak, and remove the steak similarly once it is cooked.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery and potatoes, and continue sauteing for another 3 minutes.
- Add the next seven ingredients (beef stock through seasoned salt) and the cooked steak to the pot, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pot with a spoon to dislodge any brown bits from cooking the steak. Reduce the heat, cover pot, and simmer for 1-2 hours (the more the merrier – especially for tenderizing the meat and seasoning the broth). Just before serving, season with salt and lots of freshly-ground black pepper. Then serve.