Delicious “Thai Basil Chicken” is the perfect filling for tasty lettuce wraps!
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- 1 lb. ground or diced chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup for garnish of thai basil, or basil of your preference
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce (use light soy sauce for less salty flavor)
- 6 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chile garlic sauce or Sambal Oelek or more to taste
- 1 cup loosely-packed Thai basil leaves
- butter or romaine lettuce leaves
- ground peanuts and lime for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce, chile sauce and Thai basil over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until reduced by half, about 10-12 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, red pepper, carrots, Bring 2 T oil to medium-high heat and sauté onion, red pepper, carrots, ginger and garlic until mostly cooked and softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms and bean sprouts and saute for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add an additional 2 Tbsp. oil to pan and brown chicken for 4-6 minutes until cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Combine the coconut sauce with the cooked chicken and vegetables and toss until combined. Portion the mixture into lettuce cups, then garnish with crushed peanuts, lime and additional Thai basil leaves if desired. Serve immediately.