Black Bean Hummus

For Day 2 of “Hip Hip for Hummus Week”, thought we’d branch out past the traditional chickpea to its cousin — the black bean!

I’m happy to say that in a taste-test this past weekend of some experimental hummus recipes, my next-door neighbor, friend, and fellow foodie, Kathleen, voted this one her favorite.  (Which, as a total sidenote, I should mention that she is a vegan.  And we had the fun realization that nearly all of the hummus recipes this week are vegan-friendly – yay!)

But I definitely agree!  Although pureed black beans may not be the loveliest, I guarantee this recipe will surprise you with its delightful flavor!  From the fresh cilantro, to the onion, to the cumin and cayenne (which I recommend using) — this is a fresh and savory hummus recipe that will have you coming back for more…and more…and more…  :)

Black Bean Hummus

So easy, and SO delicious!! You will love this Black Bean Hummus Recipe! Ready to go in less than 10 minutes!

• 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
  • 3 Tbsp. tahini
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, packed
  • 1/2 cup onion (yellow or white)
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
  • pinch of salt and pepper, to taste

Add all ingredients to a food processor, and blend until smooth. Add in a tablespoon or two of water (or leftover juice from the canned beans) if you'd like a thinner consistency, and blend until smooth.

Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired, and serve or refrigerate.

Recipe adapted from She Wears Many Hats

In addition to being a great dip, this would also be a perfect spread for sandwiches, quesadillas or wraps!

1. Amanda — April 13, 2010 @ 7:58 am (#)

I’m really excited to try this one. I don’t think I’ve ever had black bean hummus. Where have I been?

2. FoodGeekFish — April 13, 2010 @ 11:01 am (#)

Nice work with the black bean hummus. I like to add a bit of fresh jalapeno to mine, and definitely prefer lime juice over lemon for this application.

3. Karen G — April 13, 2010 @ 9:37 pm (#)

I have used a nearly identical concoction as the beans on salmon tostadas – got the idea from and it was delicious!

4. Jessica — April 14, 2010 @ 8:33 am (#)

I fell in love with hummus this weekend at costco and now I cant wait to make this one, I love most things with blackbeans in them so this looks great
    Do you have a jalapeno spinach hummus recipe by any chance?

• ali — April 15, 2010 @ 6:55 am (#)

Hey Jessica!

That’s awesome! Ha…Costco can make you fall in love with all sorts of things! :)

And actually, that’s hilarious. My recipe for Saturday is going to be a spicy spinach hummus. So stay tuned!!

5. Anna — April 19, 2010 @ 2:50 pm (#)

I made this hummus the night I saw it on here because it sounded wonderful! And it was wonderful! We’ve finished it in only a few days! It took me a few bites to get over my traditional idea of hummus, but once I did I realized how much better this was! Going to try another hummus recipe tonight!

6. Melanie — June 23, 2012 @ 5:08 pm (#)

Does anybody have any suggestions I canuse to replace tahini with. I want to keep it as low calorie as possible.

7. Suzi — July 26, 2014 @ 11:11 am (#)

1. Pingback: gimme some oven | Game Day Recipes | Gimme Some Oven