A simple chicken dish with your favorite classic “caprese” ingredients!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to uniform thickness
- 1/2 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup lightly-packed fresh basil, torn
To Make The Chicken:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (You will know that it is ready when the oil is shimmering, or it sizzles when you place a drop of water in the oil.) Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is fully cooked and the juices run clear. Remove chicken and set aside.
To Make The Balsamic Reduction:
- Heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced by half. Remove and set aside.
To Assemble The Dish:
- Plate the chicken, then top with sliced tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Serve warm.
You can also pop this under the broiler for a minute or two (keep an eye on it!) to melt the mozzarella and warm up the tomatoes! Just be sure to add the basil after you broil.
Sucker for anything caprese!
This sounds really tasty and just a perfect summer meal.
Moving next door to an Italian market would be the end of me. I don’t think I would ever come up for air!
Love this chicken, though…all my favorites in one place :)
I’m so jealous that you live next to an Italian market – perchance to dream! This salad looks fabulous, especially for a sweltering summer day’s meal.
gorgeous! i can’t WAIT until we have tomatoes.
Oh man, I’m in love with anything and everything caprese. This looks like a great combination!
Oh guuuuurl, yes!
You are getting such amazing lighting. Love this dish, caprese is a big winner in my book!
Oh, that balsamic reduction is just the perfect touch! Beautiful photos, so fresh and bright!
Oh this is a thing of beauty! Love all the flavors going on here Ali!
This is so pretty and colorful! I wish we had an Italian market near my house. I would move in!
This is absolutely gorgeous! And I’m so jealous that you live next to an Italian market. If that was me, I’d buy pancetta every single day :)
oh wow, GORGEOUS colors on this dish! i love anything caprese..they’re the best kind of light dishes to have :)
I love anything caprese. This one looks definitely like a perfect summer meal.
Caprese is my FAVORITE summer flavor! I love it on bruschetta or in pasta, but I could see how this meal would be ultra delicious also!
I usually have it by itself, but I like your idea to connect it with a chicken. And yes, tasty and healthy :)
This was great! Awesome summer meal! :)
Oh yum, this looks fantastic! Pinning!
Do you think this would work as well with thighs? It’s such a gorgeous recipe as written, but I have a bunch of boneless skinless chicken thighs in the freezer that need to be used up.
Everything is always better with balsamic! Thanks for sharing!
Ellie, we’re glad you agree! : ) Hope you like the recipe!
Made this for dinner tonight… it was phenomenal! So fresh and light. It’s going on the monthly rotation for sure :)
Thanks Emily, we’re glad to hear that! :)
What would you recommend as a side dish with this? Making it for my girlfriend tonight!
Hey Cory, how sweet! We would recommend a nice salad, and or some pasta! You could do a simple olive oil/butter-garlic sauce with it. We hope you guys enjoy! :)