You will love this Chicken, Spinach & Almond Pasta Bake Recipe ! It’s flavorful, comforting, and easy to prepare! Try it today!
- 1 lb. whole-wheat pasta
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups fresh spinach, well-chopped
- half a lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces (*see tip below*)
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated parmesan (optional)
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large cooking dish (I used a 9×13″) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of generously-salted water per package instructions, until it is just al dente (ever-so-slightly chewy). Drain pasta, toss with a glug of olive oil. Set aside.
- In the meantime, heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high. Saute the onions with a couple pinches of salt for a few minutes. Stir in garlic for one minute. Then add white wine, and stir to deglaze pan. Cook the mixture on the stove for another 5 minutes or so until it has reduced.
- Stir in spinach. Cook for just about 20 seconds, until the spinach collapses a bit. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest and juice. Add to pasta, along with the cooked chicken, and stir until mixed.
- Add half of the pasta to the bottom of the baking pan, then sprinkle with half of the Mozzarella cheese, add more pasta, then the remaining half of the cheese. Finish with a thin layer of parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese on top is bubbly and melty. Serve sprinkled with the toasted almonds.
Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks