Easy chocolate cupcakes with a scrumptious (egg-free) peanut butter cookie dough “frosting” recipe. These will rock your socks off.
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 (18.25 oz.) box Devil’s Food (or other chocolate variety) cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 eggs
For the Peanut Butter Cookie Dough “Frosting”:
- 12 Tbsp. (1.5 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
To Make Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Beat cake mix, buttermilk and oil with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Add eggs one at a time, until the batter is well-mixed. Increase speed to high and beat until thick for about 2 minutes.
- Pour or scoop the batter into the paper liners until they are 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, top with the frosting recipe (listed below).
To Make Peanut Butter Cookie Dough “Frosting”:
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugars together until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in peanut butter, vanilla and milk. Stir in flour and salt and mix on low speed (or by hand) until incorporated. Add in extra milk to thin, if needed. Stir in chocolate chips.
It helps to have your chocolate chips refrigerated or frozen for this recipe. Otherwise, the frosting has the potential to melt the chips once you have been mixing it for awhile.