Everyday Mediterranean Salad
This Everyday Mediterranean Salad recipe is quick and easy to make, tossed with a simple Greek vinaigrette, and can easily double as a side salad or main dish.
When I asked on Instagram what you would like to see next in our side salad recipe collection this week, there was one write-in request that won by a landslide…
…a Mediterranean salad!
Well, technically, about half of you requested a Greek side salad recipe. But since I already have an authentic Greek salad recipe here on the blog (which traditionally is made without leafy greens), I thought that would whip up a simple Mediterranean green salad for you here today. And I’ve gotta say — this one turned out to be a total winner! ♡
This salad is perfectly balanced with so many of the Mediterranean flavors I love most — peppery arugula, hearty chickpeas, cool cucumbers, smoky roasted reds, tangy feta cheese and a super-simple herby Greek vinaigrette that brings it all together. It is easy to throw together in just 10 or 15 minutes. It holds up well in the fridge if you would like to make it a few hours in advance (see tips below) or bring it along to a party or potluck. It’s also easy to gussy up with any extra proteins, veggies, olives or nuts that you might want to toss in, or (bonus!) it be easily be transformed into a delicious pasta salad if you would like to add in some cooked orzo or pretty farfalle. But best of all, it’s just super fresh and flavorful and a total fave of mine.
Feel free to make a meal out of it, or serve it as a side salad, or whatever sounds good. I think you’re going to love it!
Everyday Mediterranean Salad Ingredients:
To make this Everyday Mediterranean Salad recipe, you will need:
- Greens: I love using hearty arugula for this salad, but any of your favorite salad greens will work well too.
- Fresh Veggies: I just thinly sliced some red onion and English cucumber, but feel free to add in any extra veggies that you are craving or have on hand.
- Roasted Red Peppers: I diced about half a jar of store-bought roasted reds, but feel free to roast your own peppers or use fresh bell peppers instead.
- Feta Cheese: Lots of it, please! ♡
- Chickpeas: One can, rinsed and drained, to add some extra heartiness to this salad.
- Greek Vinaigrette: Made easily with pantry staples, including olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon, garlic (or garlic powder), dried oregano, salt and pepper.
How To Make This Salad:
To make this Mediterranean salad recipe, simply…
- Make your dressing. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Or — my preferred method — just add them to a mason jar and shake-shake-shake until the dressing is ready to go.
- Mix the salad. Then combine all of your salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle evenly with the dressing and toss until combined.
- Serve. Enjoy right away while it’s nice and fresh!
If you would like to prep this salad a few hours in advance, just combine everything except the arugula in a large mixing bowl, place the arugula lightly on top, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then give the salad a good toss right before serving and enjoy!
There are about a million ways that you can customize this salad. So feel free to get creative and use what ingredients you love most (or need to use up in your kitchen!) and make this one your own. For example, feel free to:
- Add a protein: Cooked chicken, steak, pork, shrimp, salmon, or tofu would all be great added to this salad.
- Add extra fresh veggies: Such as fresh bell pepper, tomatoes or radishes.
- Add extra jarred veggies: Such as artichoke hearts or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add olives: Kalamatas or any other Mediterranean olives you love would be delicious!
- Add nuts: Pine nuts, pepitas, almonds or whatever might sounds good.
- Add fresh herbs: If you happen to have any fresh basil or oregano on hand, chop them up to add to the vinaigrette for extra fresh flavor.
- Use different beans: If chickpeas aren’t your jam, feel free to add in white beans instead. Or nix the beans altogether.
- Use different cheese: If you don’t love feta, crumbled goat or blue cheese would also be delicious in this salad. Or feel free to go the Parmesan, Pecorino, or mozzarella route instead!
- Make it vegan: Just omit the cheese altogether, or use a vegan cheese.
More Side Salad Recipes:
If you’re looking for more side salad inspiration, here are some of my faves!
- Everyday Salad (goes with everything!)
- Everyday Kale Salad
- Everyday Asian Slaw
- Everyday Mexican Salad
- Everyday Italian Salad
- Greek Salad
- Feel-Good Fall Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
Everyday Mediterranean Salad
This Everyday Mediterranean Salad recipe is quick and easy to make, tossed with a simple Greek vinaigrette, and it can easily double as a side salad or main dish. See notes above for possible ingredient variations.
Mediterranean Salad Ingredients:
- 5 ounces baby arugula (or whatever salad greens you prefer)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- half of a small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- half of an English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Greek Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, pressed or minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- To Make The Vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl (or shake together in a mason jar) until combined. Taste and add additional sweetener if desired. Use immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- To Make The Salad: Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl, drizzle evenly with the vinaigrette, and toss until evenly combined. Serve immediately, topped with extra feta cheese and black pepper if desired.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I'd love to see what you cook!