Whole-wheat flour, honey, yogurt, and toasted pecans make this delicious healthier apple crumble muffins recipe a crowd-pleaser !
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup apple cider, store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 peeled, cored, apples (I used Granny Smith), diced to 1-cm cubes
Crumble Topping Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 4 Tbsp. (half stick) cold butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (feel free to use less)
- 1/4 cup oats
- In a large bowl combine each flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl mix egg, honey, yogurt, apple cider and butter. Pour liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the sliced apples. Then scoop into pre-lined (or greased) muffin tins, filling until 2/3 full. Top with crumble topping (instructions below), and then bake muffins in a preheated 375 degree oven until golden, about 25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean). Remove muffins from pan and cool completely.
Crumble Topping Instructions:
- In a food processor blend first five topping ingredients until it resembles a crumbly mixture. Add oats and pulse 2-3 times until just combined. Sprinkle each muffin with the crumble topping.
Recipe adapted from Friday Delights