You will love this yummy Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Onions recipe. It’s sweet, onion-y and incredibly delicious.
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch thick coins
- 1 onion, quartered then cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or more or less to taste)lots of freshly ground black pepper
- optional: additional seasonings such as Italian (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with a spoon until vegetables are evenly-coated.
- Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray. Transfer vegetables to the baking sheet, and spread so that they are evenly spaced in a single layer. (I crammed a few too many in the photo above, which doesn’t let them get quite as crispy.) Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until onions begin to crisp and brown, and sweet potatoes are cooked through.
To be honest, even though I have seasoned these a zillion ways over the years, the classic salt-and-pepper combo is still my favorite. But here are some other fun variations to choose from:
- toss with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (when tossing with the olive oil)
- toss with various seasonings before roasting
- Italian seasonings (oregano, thyme, parsley, rosemary, etc.)
- smoked paprika
- chipotle and/or chile powder and cumin
- after roasting, top with…
- chopped fresh parsley
- toasted slivered almonds
- freshly-grated Parmesan