You will love this delicious and comforting Zucchini, Arugula & White Bean Soup recipe! A wonderful warm meal to come home to at the end of a long day!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- half an onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, ends removed and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can white beans, drained (I used Great Northern)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme (or about 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2–3 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and zucchini, and saute for 5-6 minutes or until onions are translucent and zucchini is slightly browned. Add chicken broth, white beans, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for at least 10 minutes. Add arugula and continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Then puree the soup either using an immersion blender, or if you use a blender, blend the soup in 2 batches (be careful with the heat!). Return to saucepan and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve drizzled with extra olive oil, cream, and/or sprinkled with Parmesan.
You could season this soup a number of different ways! More Italian seasonings (basil, rosemary, etc.) would also be fun. Or you could go the smoked paprika route.
Also feel free to substitute a soft cheese (feta, goat, etc.) in place of the Parmesan. And if you top it with the soft cheese and swirl it gently with a spoon or fork, it can create beautiful white swirls!