Cocoa Chipotle Salsa
Hey hey! The Tomato Love Recipe Exchange continues this week with all sorts of delicious recipes for tomato salsa and dips. And Cassie and I are excited to announce that we are also going to be giving away a gorgeous Cuisinart 12-Cup Food Processor to celebrate! Read below to learn how to enter the contest, and also how to share in the #tomatolove!
It would come as no surprise to my friends that, if given the option between just about anything and chips and salsa, I always choose the latter…especially in the summer! Whenever I walk by those beautiful fresh tomatoes at the market, a few almost inevitably end up in my bag to make a fresh batch of salsa for the week. Love me some good chips and salsa.
So for something different this week, I decided to try and add a little cocoa into a simple chipotle salsa recipe. I’m a huge fan of the chili/chocolate combination (as evidenced in this, this, and this post!), but I had never tried it in a salsa. Now I am wondering why — this was delicious! For those of you raising an eyebrow, the cocoa addition was very subtle. When mixed with savory ingredients, I find that it often adds this rich depth to the flavor profile. Loved it! Feel free to also add more or less of the peppers, depending on the level of spicy-ness you prefer.
Be sure to also check out Cassie’s rockin’ hummus post for the week over at Bake Your Day. And would encourage you to also check out the International Justice Mission’s “Recipe For Change” page, where we are all in discussion this summer about how to support the farmers who grow our tomatoes in the United States. And then of course, enter to win the Cuisinart 12-Cup Food Processor below!!!
Cocoa Chipotle Salsa
Add a subtle cocoa kick to some delicious chipotle salsa!
- 2 lb. tomatoes (I used roma)
- 1 large white onion
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded*
- 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or one 3.5 oz. can)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until blended. Serve or refrigerate up to one week.
*If you do not like spicy salsa, I would recommend leaving out the jalapeno and just starting with one or two chipotle peppers, and then add more of either to taste.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I'd love to see what you cook!
How To Participate In The “Tomato Love Recipe Exchange” Salsas & Dips Week:
For a chance to win a 12-cup Cuisinart Food Processor :
- Write and post a recipe on your blog featuring tomato APPETIZERS.
- Include “”Come share in the tomato love at the Tomato Love Recipe Exchange, hosted by Gimme Some Oven & Bake Your Day, sponsored this week by Cuisinart. Also visit Recipe for Change to learn more about how to support tomato farmers.” in your blog post.
- No blog? Just leave your recipe in the comments section.
- Add your link to the InLinkz widget below (we have the same widget code, so only add it on one site).
- Submit your post before Sunday July 22, 11:59pm CST.
- Anyone can participate in the link up, but the prizes will ship to US addresses only.
- More detailed info is available here. There are ways to earn additional entries, make sure to come back to this post and leave a comment for each entry that you complete.
Additional Entries For Everyone!
You can earn up to three additional entries by doing each of the following, but you must leave a comment below saying that you have done so.
- Twitter: Tweet the following: “Join @gimmesomeoven & @bakeyourday in celebrating tomato farmers/recipes at the #r4c #TomatoLove Recipe Exchange! – http://bit.ly/NgW0kN”
- Instagram: Instagram a photo of your submitted recipe(s) with the following text: “I just shared (your recipe’s name) in the #TomatoLove Recipe Exchange.”
- Pinterest: Pin any image from this post, inviting people to participate in the recipe exchange. Use the #TomatoLove hashtag.
Cassie and I absolutely loved getting to work with this amazing 12-cup food processor from Cuisinart! This 1000-watt baby is POW-ER-FUL. But in contrast to some of the food processors I’ve owned and used over the years, it won’t kill your hearing as it’s processing your salsa! Hallelujah!! It is also comes with all sorts of amazing attachments, including a nesting 4-cup work bowl, a stainless steel slicing disk, a shredding disk, chopping/mixing blades, a dough blade, and all sorts of helpful info for use and recipes. Be sure to check it out, as well as other amazing Cuisinart products on their website, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!
Get your tomato salad recipes ready for next week!
Disclaimer: This giveaway is being sponsored by Cuisinart. I was provided a 12-cup food processor to review for this giveaway, as always, my opinions are 100% my own. This giveaway will be open until Sunday, July 22. The prize winner will be chosen at random using www.random.org. The winner will be notified and will have three days to respond before another winner is chosen. Contest is open to US residents only.