Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
Who’s feeling ready for some cozy, creamy, comfort food this week?
I’ve got you covered. ?
Seriously, this delicious recipe is everything I love in a warm soup during the wintertime. It’s nice and rich and creamy (using only milk, no heavy cream). It’s chock-full of veggies and garlic and lots of golden potatoes. It’s the perfect use for leftover ham (or even bacon) after a big holiday meal. And it can be ready to go from start to finish in just 30 minutes.
Alright, who’s ready for some soup?
Ok really, this recipe may have just been an excuse to whip up another batch of my favorite potato soup recipe, which I always find myself craving when it’s chilly out. But I did mix things up a bit with this version, adding in a few more veggies and changing things a bit with the seasonings. And, since this post is in partnership with my beloved ALDI, I’m also happy to say that I added in the leftovers from their delicious spiral cut double-glazed brown sugar ham that I baked up last week, which was ???. (<– And also, an incredible deal, if you’re looking to save a few bucks on your holiday hams this year.)
I’m also pleased to say that my neighborhood ALDI has started carrying baby Yukon gold potatoes, which are my favorite for potato soups. (Although the regular-sized larger Yukon gold potatoes will also work just as well. Or, you can use frozen diced potatoes if you’d like an even quicker shortcut.)
Just cook everything up together, and then within about 30 minutes, this delicious bowl of comfort will be yours to enjoy. Perfect for chilly nights, perfect for using up those holiday leftovers, and perfect for sharing with those you love. Enjoy, friends!
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
This Creamy Ham and Potato Soup recipe is easy to make, ready to go in about 30 minutes, and SO flavorful and creamy and delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups ALDI organic milk, warmed
- 1.5 pounds baby Yukon gold (or regular-sized Yukon gold) potatoes, diced
- 2 cups diced leftover ham (I used ALDI Specially Selected Spiral Cut Double-Glazed Brown Sugar Ham)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- Heat oil (or melt butter) in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the celery, carrots and garlic. Continue sautéing, for 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour until combined, and sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in the chicken stock until it is completely combined. Stir in the milk, potatoes, ham, bay leaf, dried thyme, salt and pepper until combined. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, but not boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally every few minutes so that the bottom of the soup does not burn. (The smaller you dice your potatoes, the faster they will cook.)
- Once the potatoes are soft, give the soup a taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
If you would like a cheesier soup, feel free to stir in 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese at the end of cooking. It’s delicious!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I'd love to see what you cook!
This post is sponsored by ALDI. Thanks for continuing to support the brands who help make this site possible. ♥