Enjoy the classic box mix of funfetti cupcakes turned homemade in this awesome recipe! Super-simple, fun, and topped with a delicious vanilla buttercream.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3–4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract, store-bought or homemade
- up to 4 Tbsp. milk or heavy cream
- To Make Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 12 muffin cups with paper liners or cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together until combined and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites to the bowl and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla and almond extracts and mix until just incorporated. Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a spoon to fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Then frost if desired.
- To Make Frosting:
- In a large stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Gradually add 3 cups of powdered sugar on low speed until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- If your frosting is too thin, add remaining sugar. If your frosting is too thick, add a teaspoon of milk at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.