A fun and detailed tutorial on how to turn your favorite gingerbread cookies into Scrabble tiles! You will love this Gingerbread Scrabble recipe!
- gingerbread cookie dough
- royal icing (here is a great tutorial)
- edible black marker (such as these or these)
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Prepare the gingerbread cookie dough. Once it is ready, place a dough third on a large piece of lightly floured parchment paper or wax paper. Using a rolling pin, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. (Refrigerate again for 5-10 minutes to make it easier to cut out the cookies if needed.)
- Using a knife or a pizza cutter, carefully cut the dough to make a grid of Scrabble tiles. You can be as precise about this as you would like. (Mine were not that precise!) Actual Scrabble tiles measure 2 cm x 1.5 cm, so if you want to be exact, I would size them 1/2 cm smaller, knowing that they will expand slightly when cooked. In American Scrabble, there are traditionally 100 tiles. See the tip below for the letter and points distribution.
- Once you have your desired amount of “tiles”, lay them out on a cookie sheet at least 1″ apart, and bake until crisp but not darkened, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from oven. Let sit a few minutes and then use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your Royal icing according to directions, and carefully make a strong border around the outside of each tile. Then fill with the slightly diluted icing. Use an edible marker to write a letter and point value on each “tile”.
- Then use them to play, eat, and enjoy!!