A healthier and delicious take on shrimp taquitos!
- 2 ears of sweet corn, shaved off the cob
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- half a white onion, diced
- 1 lb. raw shrimp (any size), peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 small (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 cups grated Monterrey Jack or Pepperjack cheese
- optional sides/toppings: fresh lime wedges, sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the corn kernels and let them dry-roast for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until their edges begin to brown and caramelize. Transfer the corn to a plate to set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high, and (carefully) add the oil until heated. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes or until cooked and translucent. Add the shrimp, chili powder, cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked and no longer translucent. Stir in the chopped green chiles and cilantro and cook for an additional minute, then remove from heat.
- To assemble the taquitos, place a large spoonful of the shrimp mixture down the center of a tortilla. Then top with some diced avocado and a generous sprinkle of cheese. Roll up the tortilla and place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy. Remove and serve immediately with optional toppings and salsa for dipping.
These sound so good!! For some reason, I always make tacos with corn tortillas but I love the idea of baking these!! YUM!
You’d never know they were difficult to shoot judging by the final shot you are sharing. These look amazing!
I think your photos look great! Your photos are always so bright and cheery. Just like you :)
We’re always our own worst critics – I think your photos look just as amazing as usual :) I am loving all the Mexican food on the blogs this week. Taquitos are one of our faves, but I’ve never made them with shrimp, yum!!
Burritos/wrap of any kind are the worst to photograph!! Seriously though, these photo are awesome!! So are these taquitos! Holly deliciousness!!
Goodness gracious girl! I swear you and I are on the same wavelength… first the chip crusted chicken… now these! I’m making something similar today but not nearly as glamorous!
I am completely transfixed on my computer monitor. Stunning. And YUM.
When I saw this pic in my reader I thought “what a gorgeous picture!” So I don’t know what you’re talking about with the bad angle! These look delish!
I am so all over this like, well, Bev on taquitos.
Oh yeshhhhh please!!!
Your photos look amazing. I can totally relate to bad photo days. Sometimes you just wish you can walk away, but ice cream doesn’t wait. Eating the food relieves any photo aggression. These look amazing!
I think they look great Ali! They’re one of my favourites to eat and this sounds like a really delicious combination of flavours.
Love how you captured the light in the first picture. They look so crispy and delicious.
I’m pretty sure that I love every photo that you take and they always have me drooling for that type of food!
This is such a good idea! I love these flavors. And the photos look amazing!
Confession: sometimes after I’ve been deep in the giggle juice, I’ll stop by the ol’ Quick Trip for some taquitos. I know, it’s bad. So, I can’t thank you enough for this recipe!! Life saver.
Oh my gosh. The QT ones are my total weakness. Glad I’m not the only one!! :)
recently I made similar taquitos with shredded chicken from picky palate cookbook – it was delicious. Adding shrimp & avocado is a great idea too.
They look mighty Fine to me, but I think eating them was well justified :)
Such a delish, easy and colorful dish for Cinco de Mayo! I love it, Ali!
Gorgeous! Taquitos are my favorite things to make, especially because they can be freezer-friendly. I may just have to make this for dinner tonight!
What a great flavor combination for taquitos! They sound like the perfect weeknight dinner!
I can’t remember the last time I had a taquito! These look scrumptous Ali!!
I love mexican food and these taquitos looks gorgeus!
Love your choice of fillings!
I think the pictures look great! And of course life would seem better once you’ve eaten them. Ha! What a creative flavor combination! I love all these ingredients, especially the cilantro, green chiles, and avocado. :)
I love these. A must have this weekend
BEfore even reading ONE word from your post I said to myself… these are amazing pictures. Seriously, how do you do it girl? I think they look fabulous despite your troubles during the shoot. I love them! Taquitos are so my thing :)
These look delicious! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo. Lovely post.
Taquitos are so good! I love this version with shrimp!
Hard or not you made these look gorg!
What are you talking about they look fantastic!!! Taquitos are awesome but I always feel bad eating them because they are so greasy and what not. THESE however, look perfect and not so bad for me….which means I shall eat them all. :O
Your photos look awesome, Ali, as always! These look so good!
Yummy, this looks amazing!
If those are hard to photograph, you make it look easy! Gorgeous job.
And Happy birthday!!
I don’t know what you’re talking about these look divine! And it was lovely to finally meet you at BTP! :)
Oh, I think these look wonderful! I bet they taste even better :) I love taquitos!
The hubby just leaned over and said, I’ll make those myself I want them so bad. HAha
Can’t go wrong with taquitos! These look so so good!
My kids have been begging for me to make these lately. Thanks for inspiring dinner! Yum!
oh these look great. Your photos are gorgeous! I think we are all just too hard on ourselves!
These are supposed to be the not so good pictures? Because I ooh-ed and aah-ed at them when I first saw them. And I’m not making that up! They’re beautiful. :) And that give up and just eat them thing? I do that with most shoots. So sad but oh well. I have to eat, right? ;)
And woohoo… taquitos!
I have never made taquitos with seafood, this look so yummy. Pinning.
Looks perfect and delicious to me…. I can’t wait to try them!
These look amazing! I was wondering if these would be freezer friendly, if so would you cook it first then freeze? Or assemble and freeze uncooked? New to freezer cooking and looking for recipes! Thanks!