My favorite classic monkey bread recipe!
- 2 large cans (16 oz.) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Prep the oven and baking pan. Heat the oven to 350°F. Mist a bundt pan generously with cooking spray.
- Coat the biscuits. Separate out the individual biscuits and cut them into quarters. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated white sugar and cinnamon. Roll each piece of biscuit dough in the cinnamon sugar until it is coated on all sides, then place the dough in the bundt pan, gently stacking the dough pieces in the pan in an even layer. (Avoid pressing the dough pieces together firmly; you want them just lightly stacked.)
- Heat the butter sauce. Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until melted. Add the brown sugar plus any leftover cinnamon sugar and stir for about 30 seconds or until the sugar is melted. Pour the sauce evenly over the dough in the bundt pan to coat.
- Bake. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the top is lightly golden and springs back when touched. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool for 5 minutes. Using oven mitts, place a serving plate on top of the bundt pan and very carefully invert the monkey bread onto the plate.
- Serve. Serve immediately while warm and gooey, and enjoy!
Be sure that your butter stays well-melted and thin during the dipping process. If it begins to cool and thicken, just pop it in the microwave for another 10-15 seconds to warm it up.
This sounds so mouthwatering yummy!! Wi$l it still work if I prep this the night before and throw it in the oven in the morning?
i’ve made a recipe similiar to this before. i actually make mine in mini loaf pans or cupcake pans for my b&b guests… this way everyone had their own individual monkey bread!
yours looks divine!
LOVE this stuff! Have you tried Gorilla Bread? It is TOO DIE FOR! :o)
Yummm! My mom makes this excellent stuff. Those pictures are reminding me of how good it is and my mouth is watering already!
I’ve had this before but never made it…who knew something so delicious could be made with refrigerated biscuits?! I think I’ll make it for breakfast on Saturday with a side of fruit…that’ll balance out all of the butter and sugar, right? :)
This is just the recipe my mother used to make.
On another note — have you seen the Cook’s Country version of Monkey Bread. I love the show, but it it just hysterical how they can make something so complicated out of something so simple. They make their own dough – why, I ask you? I’m sure it’s great tasting, but I don’t have an army of helpers to make, measure, and especially clean up.
Thanks again for the recipe – I know what I’m making this weekend.
I love monkey bread. Love it.
AND I finally got a bundt pan – so I can make it for reals, yo!
Yeah. Bundt pan for Christmas. Merry Christmas.
Oh no, I actually have buttermilk biscuits in the fridge. You’re killing me with this.
I make monkey bread for my coworkers every Friday before a holiday weekend. It’s sooooo good. I’ve never used the dipping in butter method. Sounds good!
I made this once and ate the entire thing, my husband didn’t like it. I don’t know what is wrong with him. I should never make it again if I’m bymyself.
Thank you for posting this. My husband has never had it, and every time I mention it, he thinks I’m nuts. I think I’ll need to make it for the family soon, just to turn him to the dark side I mean show him what he’s missing.
I just made this and featured it on my blog! You should check it out! Great recipe thanks!
We make it every new years and call it Midnight Monkey bread. The kids love it!!
We make this every year for Christmas brunch…best family tradition ever! Yum!
For an even more indulgent dessert, cut the biscut dough in half. Wrap a Hershey Kiss (caramel, pepperment, milk, or dark etc.) in each half. Continue with the remaining steps. Everyone I’ve served this to have loved the bread plus the little surprise inside! :)
hi, can someone tell me which refrigerated buttermilk biscuits brand u used?
Any will work.
I just used what I had on hand…buttermilk grands jr.
didn’t you forget to put in the recipe that you need to melt the stick of butter with the brown sugar on the stove and pour over the biscuits before you bake it. that is what makes the yummy sauce.
What is the glaze that is on top of the first picture?
I made this tonight. So amazingly delicious and fun to make! I was concerned that your picture had that beautiful glaze, but imagine my excitement when I realized that the butter melted to the bottom of the bundt pan! The only issue I had was that the pieces did not stick together very well, and when I tried to cut it they all tumbled down. Any idea why this happened?
I have company coming and I am going to try this. I know they will love it. Thanks so much!!
This is amazing! Just make sure to use the bundt pan, otherwise the biscuits will rise up and the goo will overflow into the oven (First time making it mistake) :)
I wanted to thank you so much for this recipe!
I’ve been hearing about my mother in law’s monkey bread from my Hubs for YEARS…like 20 to be exact. I made this tonight. Not only was it super easy and fast…it was a HUGE hit.
I was told it’s better than his mom’s!
Thanks!!!! Think I’ll be following you on pinterest!
Do you think this recipe would work with a meatloaf pan? i don’t have a bundt cake pan so i was thinking of using the meatloaf pan but wasn’t sure if it would work?
Do NOT use one of those two piece pans. O.O I did, and I caught my oven on fire.
What can one use if one cannot get tubes of refrigerated biscuits? I live in Europe and such things do not exist.
Great recipe, Ali! I just love the name you gave – Monkey bread :) I tried in last weekend and my kids and wife just loved it. Keep up with the fine recipes.